As if the pain of child birth is not enough, we get to endure multiple symptoms during pregnancy. I experienced 24/7 morning sickness in the first and third trimester with E, and in the first trimester with this pregnancy. I found out I was allergic to Zophran, the anti-nausea medicine most women take during pregnancy, so I resorted to my own methods. Hopefully, some of these tips/remedies will help you!
Preventing morning sickness
1. Preggie Pops – they are drug free and made with essential oils such as raspberry and lemon. You can buy them in lozenge form or lollipop form. I carried these with me everywhere! And if you do not like the taste of ginger, they come in peppermint, spearmint, lemon, lavender, sour raspberry, and sour tangerine
2. Ginger Chews – I like the brand The Ginger People. They have fresh ginger in them to ease nausea and are sweet and hot!
3. Ginger Tea – Make sure the tea is made of ginger and other safe food-grade herbs. For a homemade ginger tea recipe click here.
4. Carrot and Ginger Juice – juice 3 carrots with 1/2 inch fresh ginger for a delicious drink
4. Increase your Vitamin B-6 intake – Mommy’s Bliss Morning Sickness Comfort contains vitamin B-6, folic acid, and ginger. You can buy this at Whole Foods or online.
5. Eat protein, oatmeal and other foods that prevent blood sugar levels from spiking
6. Eat toast or crackers right away in the morning (before you get out of bed) and eat small, frequent meals
7. Avoid fried and fatty food
8. Fresh air – taking a daily walk eased my symptoms
9. Jobst Compression Socks – I wore these every day. They improved my circulation, helped with my blood pressure (I had very low blood pressure), prevented swelling, and energized my legs
Now onto insomnia. I wake up every couple of hours at night just restless. Again, you can take medication, such as Benadryl to help you sleep, but I am anti-medicine, so I asked my dr. for some other remedies.
1. Chamomile tea – drink a cup of tea an hour before bed
2. Light stretching before bed – yoga poses, such as the cat stretch will help relieve back pain
3. Exercise 30 minutes during the day. Make sure you do not exercise right before you go to bed.
4. Relaxation tapes – focus on your breathing
5. Warm milk before bed – drink a glass of milk or have a small bowl of cereal an hour before bed
6. Hot bath – add oatmeal flour to relieve itchy skin
8. Sleep on your left side with a pillow between your legs – your left side is the best position for optimal circulation