These bars are great to eat after a workout because they are filled with protein. My daughter loves these as a snack too, but I leave out the protein powder when I make them for her. This will save you a lot of money too. Buying a box of 6 protein bars at the store will cost you $5-$8 depending on the brand. I made 14 bars for about $6!
* 3 cups of raw oats
* 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon sea salt
* 2 1/2 cups organic non-fat plain Greek yogurt
* 1/4 cup organic maple syrup or raw honey, or use 1 teaspoon of pure stevia extract
* 1/2 cup organic peanut butter or almond butter
* 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
* 2 bananas
* Up to 1/2 cup vanilla or chocolate organic whey protein powder – optional. Make sure the protein powder is 100% whey and that it does not contain any artificial sweeteners.
* 1 cup of chocolate chips – optional
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with coconut oil
2. Partially grind the 3 cups of raw oats
3. Combine oats with the dry ingredients in a large bowl (add in protein powder if you are going to use it)
4. Boil 3-4 tablespoons of water and stir in the ground flax seeds
5. In a separate bowl, combine the flax seeds with the wet ingredients
6. Mix wet and dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Make sure the batter is sticky – add a little water if needed
7. Taste the mixture to make sure you like it. Add chocolate chips if you want this to be a healthy treat
8. Spread the mixture into your prepared dish and back for 15 minutes. Take the pan out of the oven and slice it into bars. Spread the bars out onto a cookie sheet and bake for 15 more minutes. Allow to cool, warp individually, and store in the refrigerator for 3 days or freezer for a week.
Serving size: Makes 14-16 bars depending on the size you cut them